Beat Diaspora: Beats, Buses, Bricks

an omnivorous take on music of the beat-based variety and the urban spaces that nurture it

Sunday, October 22, 2006

T-Shirt Politics

I posted a drawing of Rocinha last week that, as it turns out, is actually for a t-shirt design. Aforementioned Rocinha native Zezinho DJ drafted the image to print on t-shirts as a fundraiser for the Two Brothers Foundation -- we're serious about this raising money business.

The concept is simple: a baile funk in Rocinha. On the back it will say "Tenho orgulho de morar na favela da Rocinha." ("I'm proud to live in the favela of Rocinha.")

I'm always sensitive about the semiotics of t-shirts (I got a Neighborhoodie with 'Botafogo' on it -- where my apartment was -- because I couldn't justify 'Rocinha'), so I realize the concept might seem a little off-putting, but you'll be putting your money where your, err, torso is. All proceeds go direct to Rocinha to benefit Two Brothers. Besides, you can always rely on the Portuguese illiteracy of Americans if you're worried about getting funny looks.


For those squeamish about the ethics of traficantes on your tee, understandable. I call that one the proibidão t-shirt. There's also a light version:


Zezinho assured me he'll put "ROCINHA" in those graffiti-style letters at the top of that one too. In place of the traficantes you get some capoeira and more funkeiros. Details from Ze below.
___

Shirt colors: black, royal blue
Ink: yellow (looks awesome!)
Sizes: L, XL, XXL..more sizes will come [he said small and medium are on their way]
$25US, includes S&H
For orders, e-mail faveladodarocinha@yahoo.com.br [he speaks English & Portuguese]
___

In the semiotics of t-shirts dept, I'll be the coolest cyclist on the byways & back roads of eastern Massachusetts when it warms up this spring, sporting my Kraftwerk 'Tour de France' bike shirt. I Love Techno was a night of legendary music & a window into the wild world of European festivals. I would post tonight, but alas I can't find my camera's USB cable -- and trust me, the Kraftwerk pics are worth waiting for. Must be karma for not spending enough time listening to Carl Craig, esp. as the Tigers fold to the Cards, 7-2.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10/23/2006 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home