Beat Diaspora: Beats, Buses, Bricks

an omnivorous take on music of the beat-based variety and the urban spaces that nurture it

Thursday, April 24, 2008

MoFo Radio / Invasores do Baixo


Just got back from plying the airwaves over at WZBC, a venerable local college station, for DJ Ghostdad's MoFo Radio. I realize that doesn't do you much good to listen in, since it's now over, but he will be posting the audio in due time.

We talked a lot about funk and of course listened to many tunes from the Volt Mix, tamborzão, and pós-baile funk eras. All of it was promo, to some extent, for a chance to hear the bass heavy beats live!


Bass Invaders is going brasileiro this week. If you'll be in the area, come down to the Milky Way for beats, booze, and bowling (candlepin, of course).

Bass Invaders/Invasores do Baixo
DJs Ghostdad, Nick Yoder, and Gregzinho
Milky Way Lounge & Lanes in Jamaica Plain
Thursday, April 24, 9 pm - 1 am, 21+

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4/29/2008 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. I just finished reading your lecture- "The Anonymous as Exotic in Presenting Proibidão," right after finishing my own paper called "Postmodernism, Privilege, and the Appropriation of the Ethnic Other in Boston's Experimental Pop Scene." So I was totally in this academic space, and I really enjoyed it. I think that this Diplo era of Third World consumption is really significant, and I think you're right, that if these artists are portrayed as anonymous, then compilers, curators, and consumer, can therefore project whatever exoticized characteristics of violence, hyper-sexuality, and community that make these Brazilians more attractive. I think that a back-story is important, a humanizing interpersonal narrative to demonstrate the depth and diversity of this population, and to avoid flattened stereotypes. Your blog is great. Among other things,I also talk "beat-oriented music" of the urban variety on my blog, called Under 21 in Boston (under21inboston.typepad.com). AND, you make me want to learn Portuguese. If I was 21, I would come see you DJ at the Milky Way, but that's just not happening.

-Max P.

 
At 5/01/2008 3:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gregzinno

Just a quick email to try and get you interested in a site I've just built for the UKs Mr Bongo label. The site's at:

http://brazilianbeats.info

and its to promote the release of their Brazilian music series on a ridiculous 80 track download.

Wishing you all the best and a quick recovery for sweet New Orleans

Timjim

Copyright free mp3s online at:

Boogaloo Combo - Hot Pants Road (Phat Kev Re-edit)
http://www.buymrbongo.com/BB_fansite/
BoogalooCombo_HotPantsRoad(PhatKevRe-edit).mp3

Luiz Gonzaga - Festa De São João
http://www.buymrbongo.com/BB_fansite/
Luiz_Gonzaga.mp3

 
At 5/01/2008 3:04 PM, Blogger gregzinho said...

Max,

Glad to hear it. Your blog is very enthusiastic! I too was under 21 in Boston once. It was not a very fun time, and investing in a small, admittedly illegal, piece of plastic made it a lot more tolerable. I definitely skirted the law many times at The Enormous Room to see DJs.

Maybe I'll see you around some time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home